Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Hong Kong’s top court restores activist’s conviction over banned vigil on Tiananmen crackdown -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Hong Kong’s top court restores activist’s conviction over banned vigil on Tiananmen crackdown
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:49:42
HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong’s top court on Rekubit ExchangeThursday restored a prominent detained activist’s conviction over a banned vigil commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown on pro-democracy protesters, marking the latest setback for the city’s democracy supporters.
Chow Hang-tung, a former leader of the now-disbanded Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, had been sentenced to 15 months in prison in January 2022 for inciting others to take part in the vigil banned by the police on public health grounds during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021.
For decades, the annual vigil organized by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the 1989 crackdown on Chinese soil and was attended by massive crowds until authorities banned it in 2020, citing anti-pandemic measures.
In December 2022, Chow won her appeal against her conviction in a rare victory for the city’s activists under Beijing’s crackdown on dissidents.
At that time, a High Court judge ruled that although Chow had encouraged others to gather at a park, it was not a crime because the legality of the ban was not established. In quashing her original conviction, the judge ruled that the police had failed to discharge their positive duty to take the initiative in considering feasible measures as conditions enabling the annual vigil to be held.
But the government appealed against the judge’s decision.
On Thursday, the Court of Final Appeal restored Chow’s conviction. Justice Roberto Ribeiro said in a written judgement the police’s ban was a “plainly a proportionate and legitimate measure.”
If the police chief “gives genuine consideration to whether the specified interests can be met by the imposition of certain conditions but reasonably decides that this cannot be achieved, he is not required... to refrain from prohibiting the assembly,” Ribeiro said.
The alliance was best known for organizing candlelight vigils in Hong Kong’s Victoria Park on the anniversary of the 1989 China military’s crushing of Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests. But it voted to disband in 2021 under the shadow of a Beijing-imposed national security law.
Supporters say its closure has shown freedoms and autonomy that were promised when the former British colony returned to China in 1997 are diminishing.
Last year, Victoria Park was occupied instead by a carnival organized by pro-Beijing groups to celebrate the 1997 handover even after COVID-19 restrictions were lifted. As authorities erased reminders of the massacre, some Hong Kongers fought to keep memories alive by distributing LED candles, writing about the crackdown, or buying books about it.
Chow was also sentenced to 4 1/2 months in jail for failing to provide authorities with information on the alliance last year. Separately, she and two other former alliance leaders, Lee Cheuk-yan and Albert Ho, were charged with subversion under the national security law.
The law criminalizes secession, subversion, and collusion with foreign forces to intervene in the city’s affairs as well as terrorism. Many pro-democracy activists were silenced or jailed after its enactment in 2020. But Beijing and Hong Kong governments hailed it for bringing back stability to the city.
veryGood! (7345)
Related
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Funds to Help Low-Income Families With Summer Electric Bills Are Stretched Thin
- Housing provider for unaccompanied migrant children engaged in sexual abuse and harassment, DOJ says
- Kid Rock teases Republican National Convention performance, shows support for Donald Trump
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Harvey Weinstein due in NYC courtroom for hearing tied to upcoming retrial
- Nevada judge used fallen-officer donations to pay for daughter's wedding, prosecutors say
- After 5 sickened, study finds mushroom gummies containing illegal substances
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Beleaguered Olympic boxing has a new look in Paris: Gender parity, but the smallest field in decades
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Ralph Macchio reflects on nurturing marriage with Phyllis Fierro while filming 'Cobra Kai'
- Shelter provider accused of pervasive sexual abuse of migrant children in U.S. custody
- Bangladesh security forces fire bullets and sound grenades as protests escalate
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Global tech outage hits airlines, banks, healthcare and public transit
- TikToker Tianna Robillard Accuses Cody Ford of Cheating Before Breaking Off Engagement
- Minneapolis approves officer pay raise years after calls to defund the police
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Pregnant Brittany Mahomes Details Postpartum Hair Loss Before Welcoming Baby No. 3 With Patrick Mahomes
Zach Edey injury update: Grizzlies rookie leaves game with ankle soreness after hot start
The Book Report: Washington Post critic Ron Charles (July 14)
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
How Travis Barker Is Bonding With Kourtney Kardashian's Older Kids After Welcoming Baby Rocky
Another Texas migrant aid group asks a judge to push back on investigation by Republican AG
Shocking video shows lightning strike near a police officer's cruiser in Illinois